Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Craft Time

Over the last few weeks I've done a couple of crafts with the kids that I found on Pinterest (seriously, if you are not on this site, you are missing out!)  Both these activities have been pinned onto my 'Pinned it, Tried it' board (if you're not following me yet, just click the link on the top right of my blog to follow me on Pinterest!)

The first thing I did was make heart shaped crayons with Jaidan.  This was a trial run, to see how well it worked and how they turned out.  We'll be doing some more for Jaidan to use as Valentine's this year at school.

We had a zip lock baggy with old broken crayons in it that we used (I gave Riley and Aislinn each an old wipes container and put brand new crayons in each container for them, this way they each had their own crayon's and there was no more fighting over crayons!).  First we had to cut up all the old crayons, this was very time consuming...I also should have probably used my wooden or plastic cutting board, not my porous poly cutting boards (lesson learned!)




Once we had enough cut up, we had to fill the trays.  I bought some silicone heart shaped trays at Target in their dollar bins for $3.


Then, we popped them in the oven.  The pin said 230* for 15 mins, but I had to leave them in for 30 mins.





I did stir them with a toothpick at the 15 min mark.  I stirred them again with the toothpick when I took them out.  I put them on a rack to cool (I used my slow cooker's rack).


Normally, I link back to the blog post I followed with my pin.  But in this instance I also used google and read I think 2 different blog posts, their comments, and a forum's post with comments.  So, I kind of read what a bunch other people did and what did or didn't work for them and came up with my own method.  You can find the original pin I used tho on my pinterest board.



Next up, I decided to try the soap cloud with Riley!  Jaidan came in and watched while it was in the microwave.  I had never done this before and was able to get a 3 pack of Ivory soap for $.25, so I decided to do this....Ok, I bought the soap with the intent to do this project LOL.

It's very important that you use Ivory soap, I can't tell you why, but that is what the blog said (supposedly you get a burned mess with other brands)



This is so easy to do.  You just put the soap on some wax, or parchment paper (NOT foil, seriously folks, we don't want any fires!), turn on the microwave and watch it grow!  I set my timer for 4 mins, but we took it out at 2 mins.  It had really slowed down with the growing (couldn't even tell if it was moving anymore), so we did a big huge count down together for the last 10 seconds and took it out at the 2 min mark.






Riley thought it was super cool.....until it came out of the microwave, then he didn't want to hold it LOL.

If you want to see the original blog post you can do so here.  We still have our 'cloud' so I am thinking about letting the kids make colored soaps like she did in her blog post.

Have you done any Crafty fun things lately?






6 comments:

  1. It's because Ivory soap is very porous, it is slap full of air bubbles that they have whipped into it, the bar that floats, it's I believe, the only bar soap that does that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's good to know then! Thanks Jaye!

      Delete
  2. I can't wait till Z is old enough to do crafts with, I have tons and tons I am just itching to get to work on!

    OH! and next time y'all do the ivory soap, try dropping a few drops of food coloring on it before putting it in the microwave :)

    And when you are done with it, you can have the kids, or you can do it yourself, put the pieces into baggies and turn it into a powder ish , and use it for on the go bubble baths :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, he is old enough to do some crafts with already!

      I was reading where the lady mentioned using the crumpled soap in the tub for bubble baths. The kids would love that too! I have a lot more Ivory soap to play with HAHA since I got such a good deal on it.

      Delete
  3. So you just microwave Ivory soap??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep!! It was super easy to do too! The link I shared that I got it from, even tells you how to make your own colored soaps out of the cloud when you are done with it too!

      Delete